Friday, April 17, 2015

Week In Review

Hello again!!  We are wrapping up another homeschool week!  We are down to about 5 or 6 weeks left in our school year.  I can't believe that we are almost done, and at the same time I can't wait to be done!!

Our preschool theme this week was The Farm.  This pack I got from 2TeachingMommies and I think she collaborated with 1+1+1=1.  We read three books each day, they were Animal Hide and Seek from Usborne, The Farm Book by Jan Pfloog, and Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown.  He loved all three of them!!  Here is a look at what we did this week.



First, on day 1 we worked on a Lauri Farm Puzzle, the he did another barn puzzle, we worked on size sequencing with tractors, he colored the farm animals, we did a Melissa and Doug farm puzzle, we practiced the animal sounds using Melissa and Doug farm animal magnets, and last we counted the farm animals.

On Day 2, we began with heads and tails animal matching, then we did the tractor size sequencing again, we played a farm animal matching game, and we also practiced the animal sounds again and worked both puzzles.  In that last picture in the left hand corner I caught him reading a Curious George book to himself, he said the whole story almost perfectly!!  

Noah this week has worked really hard on his reading, he learned that 5 letters make more than one sound!  I was surprised at how quickly he caught on to it.  I am also moving towards him picking books on his own to read to me.  We went to the library this week and I had him pick out three books that he would read to me.  He came home with four!  I am so excited to see his enthusiasm pick up towards reading.

Another area that we are working on, is him writing his own sentences.  I haven't pushed him too hard in this area because writing has been a struggle but I feel we are to the point that he can be pushed a little bit.  Plus I told him that if he wrote his own sentence he wouldn't have to do a handwriting page.  So he has been writing his own summary sentences for our Bible story time.  He dictates it to me first and then I write it down, then he copies it.  Soon we will move on to him just writing it himself.  I wanted to give him a boost of confidence first before I just threw him into writing.  

Here he is copying some letters of the Greek Alphabet.

Elijah has been moving forward in his Spelling, and I was able to catch a few photos of him this week.  He tends to hide from the camera and doesn't care to have his picture taken! Especially while doing school work!  



We are continuing studying about Japan this week, and we wrote some Haiku poems.  The kids had fun with that, and it was a great day to be outside.  Unfortunately I forgot to get the camera out and photograph them!  Oh well they came up with some cute ones!

We also used our last Book It coupon this week, actually it was the only one we used this year!!  Some how the year got away from me and we never used the coupons that they earned!  

Yes, they are playing checkers with the sugar packets!  At first we were using
the straw wrappers but the waitress suggested the sugar packets!  What a
great idea!!


That was our crazy week!  I hope you enjoyed this little peek into how our schooling went this week.  How was your week?  Has spring fever set in yet?  I know we are going crazy and ready to be done with school and play outside all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment