Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The End is Near

Well here we are with 10 weeks left in our school year!  I can't believe we are almost done!  Its been such a crazy year for us, I almost didn't think we would actually make it to the end!  Over these next few weeks I am excited to see how my kids will have progressed through the year.

So far I have recognized major advances in Noah with both reading and handwriting.  At the beginning of the year Noah couldn't read any words, and now he is able to blend sounds to sound out words, and read some short stories!  He is also making huge strides with his handwriting, at the beginning of the year I could hardly read his handwriting and now he is able to write legibly.  Those were two areas of focus for us this year for him, I am so happy that we are accomplishing our goals,  especially considering all of the challenges we have faced this year.

Elijah has also made great strides in his math.  At the beginning of the year he was struggling to understand multiple digit multiplication and he is now doing wonderfully with division.  Another area that I was wanting to work on this year with him was advancing his reading abilities.  I had a whole stack of great literature picked out for him to read this year, he got through about one and a half of those books and began reading The Hobbit.  At first I was still going to make him read the books I had picked out, but he wasn't enjoying those, so after a bit I realized that it wasn't a battle worth fighting.  I mean come on my fourth grader was reading The Hobbit!  He has since finished that and is almost finished with The Fellowship of the Ring.  I guess I did accomplish my goal though, he has definitely advanced his reading ability!

A few goals I have set for the rest of our year include Elijah being more independent in his work.  Right now he can do Math, Handwriting, and some English on his own.  I would like for him to be more independent next year so I will really be pushing him to gain that confidence throughout the rest of this year.  For Noah I would like for him to continue to grow his handwriting skills, they are improving but still not great.  I would also like to get him to do more copy work and some creative writing.  The kid has an amazing imagination and I would like to capture some of that in writing.

Here's to a great next few weeks and finishing up our school year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment