Tuesday, July 14, 2015

2nd Grade Curriculum Choices

When we began our homeschooling journey four years ago, I was teaching 2nd grade and pre-k 4.  Well, here I am again, teaching 2nd grade and pre-k 4!!  We have come full circle!  I can not believe that the kid I was teaching pre-k to is now my second grader!

This year Noah will be continuing to learn to read, which has been a huge struggle for us.  Reading will really be our main focus this year, everything else will be secondary.  Here is the list of Noah's 2nd grade curriculum.


Language Arts:

All About Reading Level 2 and All About Spelling Level 1



   Noah did a wonderful job with AAR Level 1, so I am excited to see how Level 2 goes.  He has been asking to begin level 2 since it came in the mail about 2 months ago.  That makes my mommy heart really happy to hear my kid who struggles with reading say he is super excited about continuing on!
   I am not too sure when I will began AAS Level 1 with him.  I will have to wait and see how the first few weeks of school progress.  I am thinking about beginning it about the 7th week of school or so.  It will not be a big pressure to me if he doesn't get it right away, I will probably take it really slow and see what happens.


Math:

Math U See Beta

 
 Last year, about half way through the year, we began Math U See Alpha, we didn't quite get to finish the whole book but I think Noah has a strong enough grasp on math that beginning in Beta will be a good fit for him.

Handwriting:

A Reason For Handwriting B

 
I love this program!  We have used different programs in the past and this is the one that has worked the best for both of my boys.  We didn't use a formal program last year for Noah because it was integrated into his curriculum using copywork.  What I realized a few weeks into the year was that Noah did not like copywork, he preferred the handwriting book.  I had some left over pages from a book that Elijah had worked through so that is what we used for the remainder of the year with him.

Typing/Coding:

Typing Instructor and various free kids coding websites

    Noah will be working through Typing Instructor for the first time this year.  He has never had a formal typing program and he is happy to begin learning how to type.
    I shared in my 5th grade curriculum post what coding websites we will be using this year, be sure to check them out.

Don't forget to go back to see what we are doing for our all together subjects and 5th grade.  I will be sharing our Pre-K 4 curriculum choices later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment