Friday, August 30, 2013

Easing into our Routine (Part 2)

Along with getting back to school, it was also time to get back to chores!  Over the summer we had pretty much slacked in making the kids do their chores.   They got used to getting up in the morning and eating breakfast while watching TV.

I had totally intended to do a Back to School Boot Camp type of thing the two weeks leading up to school starting.  With my parents still being in town, and wanting to spend time with the kids that didn't happen.  So we started it last week, this meant, no TV in the morning, eating breakfast at the table, and completing chores in the morning.

To begin with we worked on the kids staying in bed until 7:30, which by the end of the week turned into, staying in bed until mommy comes to get you!  Then after they get up, immediately they are to make their beds, get dressed, brush teeth, and do their devotions.  Ideally this should give me time to make breakfast, so far that hasn't been the case, like I said we are working on it.  We call all of  that our morning checklist.

These are permanent, not removable cards, since these are the same every day.


After breakfast, its time to start our morning chores.  Over the summer I worked hard finding a perfect chore system.  I realized that none exist!   In the end I decided to go with one that is similar to our workbox system.  So far the kids love it, it helps them know what is done and what still needs to be done.  I used the printable chore cards from Homeschool Creations, but I made my own charts.  I wanted them to be color coded using their family color.  Here is what our charts look like:
Here is our set up, this is in our kitchen right under our family dry erase calendar.

Typically I will give the kids 4 chores a day, I just threw some up to show what they look like filled.

When the chore is completed they place their cards in this magnetic box attached to our refrigerator.


If you are looking for some great chore chart ideas you can check out my Pinterest board!  I have a ton of things pinned that I scoured over for a long time trying to decide what I liked the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment