Friday, August 2, 2013

Calendar Time

In our homeschool, we try to be pretty consistent with our calendar time.  Having younger students makes it a fun add on to our day.  Even though we mostly do it for the younger ones, Elijah still loves it!  I found some awesome printables for our Calendar Notebooks that we will be using along with our calendar and weather items on the wall.  Here is our set up:

Last year I kinda threw together a calendar notebook a few months into school.  I used a little bit of 3 different peoples ideas.  It really didn't flow well!  So this year I am sticking with the one I think will fit our needs the best.  This year we are using only Confessions of a Homeschoolers calendar notebook.  She has Elementary, Kindergarten and Pre School to choose from.  The Tot Time notebook is from 1+1+1=1.

Here is what the Elementary Daily Learning notebook looks like for Elijah.  His notebook consists of the following items:
-What Day is it?
-Write the Date
-What is today's number?
-Write the number word for today's date

-Days in School- Hundreds, Tens, Ones
-The temperature/ What to wear

-What Time is it?
-How much money? (Make the date in coins) I used printable coins from Mama Jenn
             **I use a binder pouch to keep the coins right in his binder.**
-Tally Marks to count the days we do school each month
-Write Your Name
-100 Day Chart

-Monthly Calendar Pages and Weather charts



What Day is it? Write the Date.  

Calendar and Weather Chart Page

Noah's notebook is pretty similar to Elijah's but I used the Kindergarten printables from Confessions.  They are little easier for him to use.  So this is what I included in Noah's learning notebook:
-What Day is it? (each day has its own page)
-What Time is it?
-What is the temperature?

-I can write my name
-Monthly Calendars
-Monthly Weather Charts
What Day is it? 

Weather Chart

Items needed to create these Daily Learning Notebooks:
-Printable calendar pages 
-Page Protectors
-3 Hold punch
-Adhesive Reinforcement Tabs (so the pages that aren't in page protectors don't rip out)
-1/2 inch binders
-Dry Erase/Wet Erase Markers
-Pencils, Markers, Crayons, etc. (whatever they prefer to write with)

Assembly of the notebooks:
Print out the pages as directed.  I did double sided printing to save paper.  The pages that we use daily I put in page protectors, so the What day is it, what's the temperature, etc. go into page protectors.  The rest I hole punch and put reinforcement tabs on and put in the binder.  



For my Tot Notebook, I used printable pages from 1+1+1=1.  Zach's notebook consists of number and letter pages for him to dry erase on.  I will add different pages throughout the year to keep it fresh for him.  All of his pages go into page protectors, and I printed them double sided to save paper.  

Alphabet Pages

Number and Shapes pager



How we use them:
Every morning at the beginning of our school day we sit down and go through our notebooks.  We use our wall calendar and then the boys fill in their notebooks.  Some days they prefer to just do their notebooks and other days they just want to do the wall calendar, and some days we do both.  Either way is fine with me, I don't force them to do all of it.  I also will add the Days of the Week and Months of the year song.  Occasionally we will sing either our 50 States and Capitols song (via the Animaniacs!), or the Presidents song.  

Other places to find great calendar notebook ideas are:


I would love to see your calendar time set up!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment