Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Why We Chose to Homeschool

If you have read about us you have probably already read why we homeschool.  But as I sit here and think on beginning another school year, this being our fourth homeschool year, I think about what got us here to begin with.  Today I would like to share a bit about why we chose the homeschool route and why we plan on sticking to it.

I did not start out with the idea that I would homeschool, in fact that idea gave me hives!  I really thought I would get my kids in school and then, just think, all the free time I could have!!  That thought alone was very intriguing!  I was so excited when my first child began Kindergarten, I didn't cry at his meet the teacher, I didn't cry when I put him on the bus for the first time.  I was a mom that was ready to have her child in school all day!  We lived in a wonderful school district, his teacher was amazing and he was making friends.  He loved school, he was thriving and doing great!

In January of that school year, we found out we were expecting child number three!  We were all super excited and it was a great time.   Baby number three was due to be born about a week before school was to start.  Child number two was beginning preschool and child number one was beginning first grade.  All was going well, life was good, I had two kids in school and a baby at home.  I was enjoying my time and my life.

Skip ahead to my oldest beginning first grade, once again he had a good teacher, still the same school, everything was good.  He loved school was thriving and doing well.  Then came teacher conferences in October, his teacher had great things to say, he was reading at a third grade level, he was excelling in math and basically doing great.  Then came to things that really got me thinking, they wouldn't let him move past a third grade reading level because they didn't want him to get too far ahead and there were constant complaints about his handwriting. Sorry he's a boy and he's left handed!  What was I supposed to do about it, he was with them for 8 hours a day!

In March of that year I began to think even harder on the topic of homeschooling. Then one day I just felt the Lord pushing me towards homeschooling.  I had seen some great examples of how people made it work, either through friends or family and even the chance to hear the Duggars speak.  My husband was super supportive and was thrilled with the idea.  So we allowed our son to finish up his school year and over the summer we withdrew him from public school and haven't looked back!

Now lets take a look at where we are three years later.  Our reasons have grown so much more than just allowing our kids to excel and a prompting from the Lord.  Here is a list of reasons we are still homeschooling our children and reasons we don't plan to go back to public education anytime soon.



Homeschooling has opened so many opportunities for our family.  I can not wait to see where the Lord leads us in the future on this awesome adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment