Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Our Homeschool Daily Schedule for 2015-16

Schedules!  Yes I love schedules!  I know most people are not that way, but for me I function so much better when I have something written down to tell me what I need to do and when.

In our homeschool we thrive with schedules!  Although I am not a strict, down to the minute scheduler, we do follow an outline for our days.  You will notice the color codes for each child, we use this for most everything in our home.  From notebooks to cups to pencil boxes, I try to stick to their colors.  Plus it just makes the schedule look so pretty!



Here is a basic run down of what a day in our life looks like:

8:00     Breakfast/ Daily Chore
8:30     Exercise/Large Motor
8:45     Calendar
9:00     Bible
9:20     Preschool with Zach, Elijah Reading, Noah Handwriting/Typing or Coding
9:45     Science (M,T,TH), Art/Experiments (F)
10:10   Snack
10:20   Math
10:45   Language Arts with Elijah, Free Time for the other two boys
11:15   Spanish
11:45   Lunch
12:30   Reading time with Zach, Quiet Time for the other two boys
12:45   Reading/Spelling with Noah, Elijah Typing/Coding
1:15    History
1:45    Read Aloud
2:15    Quiet Time for Mom, the boys do quiet activities
3:00    Snack/Outside Time

Although the times are pretty specific, it just gives me a basic guide to follow.  I print this off and post it in our school room, along with one for each specific child.  There might be some adjusting once we actually start our school year.  Since we have not done our History program before I am not sure exactly how long it will take so I might need to add a bit more time to it.  Wednesday is our Co-Op day, so I do not have any school work assigned for that day, we are going to try to get our things done the other days.  If I need to we will throw a few things in before we have to be at Co-Op in the mornings, I am hoping to not have to do this, but we will see.

For Elijah this year I am going to allow him to work through his subjects in any order as long as he completes the assignments. The exception being for Bible, Science, and History as those are our all together subjects, he will need to wait for the rest of us.  My goal for him this year is to become more independent and learn some time management skills.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, My name is Johneida, and I am the mother to two boys ages 11 and 8. I am completely new to the homeschooling community. I don't even know where to start. I don't even have all the books together for the curriculum. I was wondering if anyone had some advice to me for getting the materials at a reasonable price and also advise on a daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johneida! Thanks for commenting! First off my advice to you is to take some time to relax and enjoy being with your boys. This time is called 'deschooling'. Use this time to just let the boys do some interest led learning, read them some good books and just have fun! Use this time to also figure out their learning styles and your teaching style. I highly recommend Cathy Duffys book 102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. That book has a survey in it that you can take that will help you. That should help you figure what curriculum you should use. As far as where to get it for cheap, I use three main sources... the first is Christian Book Distributers, Amazon and Rainbow Resources. All three have great websites that you can compare prices and such. You can always look at the manufactures website as well.

      In making a daily routine my advice would be to just take how you naturally go about your day and use that. For my family, we typically are up about 7:30 and they kids play while I get ready and we eat breakfast about 8:30 and begin school about 9. We try to finish up by about 11:30 and have lunch. Then we go about our afternoon school work and finish about 1:30 or 2. I have a few posts that I've done with different daily schedules so feel free to look at those to get more detailed ideas. Lastly I want to add, do not get discouraged, homeschooling our kids is a very challenging task and takes time to get used to, and just when you think you have it figured out, it changes! :) Blessings to you!!!

      Delete