Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Back To School Boot Camp Day 2

Yesterday I shared how we get in gear for the up coming school year.  Today I will share what we accomplished on Day 2 of our Back to School Book Camp week.




Today we worked on our morning routine, along with the few things that we worked on yesterday.  So here is a little glimpse as to how our morning went.

The kids got up and actually made their beds, which means no quarters were lost!  Whoo Hoo!!  They then ate breakfast and watched some TV, which is a summer privilege.  After I finished breakfast I worked on our daily chore, which is cleaning the kitchen today, I will normally expect them to help with the daily chore but did it myself today.  Once I had finished that I told the kids to get dressed and to meet me on the couch.  After about 20 minutes they all finally made it to the couch!  Yes that's right, 20 minutes!  The older two do great getting dressed but that little almost 4 year old, still struggles.  He is perfectly capably of dressing himself but refuses.  He finally did get dressed and we were able to carry on with our meeting.

During our meeting this morning, I told the kids that we would be working on our morning school routine today.  I explained that during our normal school days they would be expected to get up, make their beds, get dressed and then eat breakfast.  Once breakfast has been consumed, we will then move onto our daily chore.  When we have finished that it will be time to begin our school day.

We went through our morning exercises, which is basically dancing around and doing jumping jacks to music.  I have a few YouTube exercising videos that we will rotate in as well.  Having a very active 7 year old and a 4 year old, makes me realize how important movement is before starting a school day!

After our exercising we will move into our calendar time.  For calendar time this year we are using the calendar notebooks from Homeschool Creations, I chose to do the elementary manuscript version for Noah, the cursive version for Elijah.  For Zach he will be using some of her pages and some that I created.  During our calendar time we will work on the day, month and year, the season, and weather.  They will take turns placing things on our wall charts and then move onto fill out their notebooks.  I learned this morning that Zach will take a bit of training to get used to doing this part of school with us.  I also learned that it will take a bit of patience on my part!

This was Zach from last school year.  We tried to include him then but he
just wasn't ready.  Hopefully this year he will catch one quickly.



Once our calendar time is finished we will move right into our devotion/Bible time.  For Bible this year we are using Apologia's Worldview program beginning in the Who is God?  book.  We will do that 3 days a week and the other 2 days will be a devotion from one of our children's devotional books.  During this time we will also review any Bible verses we are working on and have a time of prayer.



After all this has been completed we will move into our subject areas.  I will work with Zach first on his preschool work, while the other two begin some independent subjects.

So far this week has been going well, and I am so glad we take this time to get back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment