Monday, August 24, 2015

Organizing My Homeschool Year- Part 1

I have been thinking a lot lately about organization.  I personally love to organize and I love having everything in its proper place.  I have a label maker, and most everything in our school area is labeled.

I thought I would take today and share a little bit about how I organize our space.  We are blessed to have a home that has an extra room in our finished basement.  We use that as our school room, it also has an attached storage room that we use for extra storage for our school items.  Our room is approximately 13 x 13, and the storage room is about 13 x 8.5.

I'll first share how I organize my planner. I created my own homeschool lesson planner this year, which is free to you to download if you would like!  Just follow this link!  I printed it all off, hole punched it and placed it in a 1" three ring binder.  It is divided into four main sections.  The first section is my lesson plans.























Next is the lesson schedules I created.  I have our read aloud schedule, Letter of the Week Schedule, What's in the Bible videos and what history lesson they correspond with, etc.



In the next section is my Calendar and Attendance trackers.  I also have our Year in Review page in this section.



My last section is extra records that I am keeping this year.  I have a Book Log, Field Trip log, and a course of study for each child.



Next, I'll share how I organize the Letter of the Week curriculum that we are using for Zach.  First I created a hanging file folder for each letter of the alphabet and for each literature unit we will be using.  I then put them in my cute Thirty-One Gifts fold n file.  I just printed off the first 12 weeks of school right now.  So all of those are filed into the appropriate folder.  I also went ahead and laminated the things that I wanted laminated.




After that I printed off the lesson plans and hole punched them and put them in a 1/2" three ring binder.  I created two sections in this binder one is the lesson plans and one is extra resource pages that go along with the Letter of the Week curriculum.
































Next up, is my little storage room off the school room.  This summer it went through a major overhaul.  We use this area to store our craft supplies, curriculum that we aren't currently using and our records.  This year I also moved my sons' desks into this little room.  It serves as a great barrier from our main room, while still allowing them to be close by.

Here is an overview of the shelves.

Top Left:  Craft supplies

Top Middle:  More craft supplies and paints, paint brushes, extra crayons, and pencils.
Middle Shelf:  More crafts supplies and some pocket chart
games.


Top Right:  File boxes with their completed work, wall posters are on top of that.
The wooden box is a set of fancy silverware that never gets used.
Middle Right:  All About Spelling and Reading, Math U See, MFW Kindergarten,
and some general 2nd grade materials.  I also have some rolls of paper that I got from
Ikea a few years ago!  This stuff lasts for ever and is super cheap!

Middle Middle:  Construction paper, no tip water pots, extra school supplies,
science kits.
Bottom Middle:  Scratch paper one tub of white and one of colored,
reading games, weaving loom.

Middle Left: File folders, extra colored pencils, magnifying glasses, US Bingo,
book ends, and other items not currently in use.
Bottom Left:  Extra clip boards, white boards, and chalk boards.  Along with
some left over duct tape.  

That about sums up our craft organization.  As you can see I use my label maker a lot!  I also like to use clear bins in order to see what is inside at a glance.  I started the summer with about 8 or 10 of those file boxes and I got down to 6!  **I realized that I forgot to get a picture of the bottom right side of the shelves, on that side I just have another 2 boxes of extra school supplies and items that we aren't currently using.  We also have a microscope on that shelf next to those boxes.**

In my next post I will share how my boys desks are organized and how my desk is organized.  I also plan to share how I organize my teachers manuals and things like that.  So be sure to check back in!

No comments:

Post a Comment