Friday, July 19, 2013

DIY Art Caddy

I have been wanting to find something that I could just grab all of our art supplies whenever we are wanting to do a project.  But I didn't want to spend a lot and the ones I found seemed to be pretty pricey.

Surprise,  I went to Pinterest to see what I could find, and I saw this cute one.

http://pinterest.com/pin/230879918369892124/



So back a few months ago I found these cute little pails at Oriental Trading, and since I was placing an order anyway I went ahead and got them.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/bright-pails-a2-52_48-11-1.fltr?xsaleSku=3/5345

Unfortunately when they came I was a little disappointed because they are much smaller than I really thought.  Even though I measured, I really envisioned them to be larger.  But I figured they would still work.

Then I found this Lazy Susan at Ikea and loved it!

Snudda Lazy Susan


So a few days ago I completed this project, and I am not really sure what I was thinking!  When you have a toddler in the house, its probably not a good idea to leave art supplies out on your table!  I decided that I would keep it in our closet and just bring it out what we need when we need it, or just place it on the table when we are doing an art project.


So here is my finished project.


Supplies needed for Lazy Susan Art Caddy
Needed for this project: Lazy Susan, Metal Pails, Hot Glue Gun, Magnets
Finished Lazy Susan Art Caddy
Glue magnets to the Lazy Susan then place the pail on top of the magnets.

Lazy Susan Art Caddy
Finished project!  Looks super cute!  Not as functional as I would have liked though.  

Lazy Susan Art Caddy
***Compare my crayons to the ones in the picture from Oriental Trading. ***


All in all I really don't think this saved me any money!  Here is a break down of my cost:

-Bright Pails from Oriental Trading- $9 for 12
- Snudda Lazy Susan from Ikea- $7.99
- Magnets from Wal-Mart- $5.84
                               ---Total Cost: $22.83

- Cost for a new wooden Art Caddy- About $37

A little cost savings but because its not functioning like I would like, maybe I should have splurged and gotten the one I really wanted.  Oh well, maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment