Thursday, February 19, 2015

Selling and Buying a House Part One

Well, let's see.... since my last post was about our summer schedule and its now February, I think its time for an update!

It all began last June, my mom and I took a little shopping trip to a big city (aka Ikea!).  While on this overnight trip we got to talking about the house (which we were renting from them) and the future of it.  My husband and I had been feeling for a while that we needed to make a move, since having child number 3 and then beginning homeschooling we kinda felt like we were busting at the seams.  So in short we determined it was time to list the house and for my family to move.  We got home from this trip and contacted our realtor, she came by the following day and told us what we needed to work on to get it ready to list and by the first week in July our house was on the market!

Fast forward about 2 weeks and we had an offer that we had accepted, we were super excited and had a closing date at the end of August.  It was working out perfectly because my parents usually leave to head back south about that time.  Well, after about 2 weeks and going through inspections and such our buyers backed out!!  We were so devastated and frustrated!  Here we are at the beginning of August and not having a buyer, not having a place to go and my parents getting anxious to get back to their home.  Not to mention I had started packing!!!  So most of out kids toys, our kitchen, and homeschool things had been packed.

So now lets fast forward a few more weeks, I decided to go ahead and begin school about the second week of August because I knew we would be taking some time off to move (whenever that would be!).  About two more weeks pass, my parents are literally packed up ready to leave town and we get a call from our realtor saying that she had another offer on our house!  Yeah!!  So we accepted that offer and had a closing date set for the end of September.

We still had not found a house to buy.  We began looking at rental houses but very few were willing to give us a short term lease, because we were planning to keep looking for a house until  we found one!  That was very frustrating because we really had not idea what we were going to do.   Thankfully we found a great house to buy that we both loved and met most of our criteria!  The only downside was that we would not be able to close on that house until October 10.  Which meant we would be "homeless" for about 2 weeks!

After a little thought and realizing that staying in a hotel would both be expensive and difficult.  I asked my parents if I could come visit them with the boys for about a week.  The cost of airfare for all four of us was about what we would have spent on a hotel alone for two weeks.

I wish I could say that it was a great smooth transition and move, but well.... it wasn't!!!  I'll tell you more about that next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment