Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Our "School Room"

When we decided to homeschool I had wonderful visions of what I wanted in our school room.  I knew I would not get a room, so then came the thoughts of where could I go.  I had thoughts of using our basement, but its not finished and in order to finish it off it would cost a chunk of money, not to mention there are no windows!  Then I thought about using the babies room and moving him in with his older bothers, but I am just not quite ready for that yet.  So in the mean time I came up with using a corner of our dining room, which was already used for storing their coloring books and homework supplies anyway.  We use the work box system, so both of my boys have their work box carts in the dining room.  In each of the boxes are their work books and on top of their carts they each get a pencil box which holds 3 pencils, an eraser and dry erase markers.  All of their art supplies are in a separate place since I didn't want to buy double of everything.
To the left on the wall is our calendar board.  The carts with the colorful drawers are their workboxes.  Preschool one on the left and 2nd grader on the right.  The middle drawers hold coloring books, highlights magazines, and other miscellaneous items.  The globe I found at a garage sale for $1.50, only to get home and  have my hubby point out that its outdated, it still has East and West Germany!  HA!!  Oh well, it was cheap!

Here is our calendar board, I am thinking its going to need a bit more dressing up!  I am also using the "Day's in School" chart, "Today's Weather Is" chart, and the "Todays Temperature" chart, all from www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com.

Second came the question of where are we going to store the books, and manipulative's that come along with homeschooling?  We have a closet in our hallway that was really not used for much except a place to "hide" things.  So I cleaned that out and it has become our "closet", aka the place where their manipulative's are.  These are games, puzzles, and toys that only come out during what we call "closet time".
Lots of games, puzzles, flashcards, pattern blocks, geo boards....

This is the top shelf of the closet, this is where I keep our art supplies.


 I was able to find an amazing solid wood bookcase at a second hand store for an even more amazing price!  I was super excited!  So that is in our living room and holds our books.  I have our school binders, teacher manuals, story books and reference books all on here.  Also the bottom two shelves are for the babies toys, and books.  Which is why in the picture they are empty!  :)

Yup the baby loves to pull everything off!!  



We also have a computer in the dining room, which is used for school work.  Its a really old eMac that my hubby got on ebay for $35!!  I am really proud of him for finding such an amazing deal, it works great for the kiddos and its allowed us to be able to better control which websites they go to.

That about sums up where we do school, well so far!  We have only been doing school for about a week.  :)

This post is participating in the iHomeschool Networks Not Back to School Blog Hop!!  You can find more great "school rooms" here.


2 comments:

  1. Love the bookshelves and colorful drawers! Stopped by from the Hop, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!! Thanks for sharing! Blessings for a great year! http://lovinglosingliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete