Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Summer Reading Incentives

This summer I decided to create a reading incentive program for my kiddos.  My main goal in doing this is to keep Noah reading!  Elijah I am not concerned about at all, that kid loves to read!  I knew though that if I didn't give some sort of incentive that Noah would regress and in August we would be  starting behind.

Summer Reading Incentive


I decided to use a very simple chart system that they will mark off when they have read books and then get prizes along the way.  I went to the dollar store and picked up a few items that they can earn as prizes and then they can also get some candy as prizes if they want.  In the past we have done the reading programs offered by our library, but this year I wanted something different and I was not sure how often we would make it to the library.

Noah's chart looks like this:
For every 5 books he reads he gets to pick a prize, and his goal is 30 books.

Elijah's chart looks like this:
His goal is just 10 books, because he reads longer books I am letting him count every 80 pages as one book.  For every two books he reads or every 160 pages he earns a prize.

Of course once Zach saw that the older boys had a reading chart he needed one too!  So here is the one I made for him:
We are going to work on these charts until we leave on vacation at the end of July.  When they complete them we will have a "big" prize for them.  Not totally sure what we will do but it will probably be either bowling or a movie or something.

So far they have been doing really well!!  Noah has already read 8 books, he is so excited about reading and earning prizes!  Elijah has also read enough to earn one prize so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment