Friday, June 12, 2015

Children Are A Blessing from the Lord

The other day I was speaking with a friend who has five children, the last of which are twins.  We were getting ready to pack up after a baseball game and she was struggling with one baby in her arm while trying to fold up a lawn chair.  I asked if she would like some help, and of course she said yes!  

As I was helping fold up the chair we began chatting about the reactions she gets from people when they see her walking around pushing the double stroller with three other children following along.  She gets the "Oh, wow!  Look at that!", or "Glad that's not me!!"

http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=77459&picture=bronze-children-statues
Photo Credit

One comment she made that stuck with me is, "Don't feel sorry for me, help me!"  I think that is a great thought to ponder.  I have to admit that sometimes when I see people with babies or a lot of children I do tend to "feel" for them.  I don't feel bad for them, necessarily, just a sense of relief on my part that I am done with that stage!  When my friend made that comment it made me think a bit about my own reactions.  Lately I have been convicted to think of children not as a burden but as a blessing.  What great responsibilities we have to raise them in the Lord.  Its not an easy task!

In further conversation with my friend, she pointed out that she loves her children, she didn't ask for 5 of them but is so happy to be blessed with them!  Her children are a blessing!  My children are a blessing!  Children are a blessing from the Lord to be treasured and cherished!

My point in writing this is to make us aware, and to not feel sorry for our fellow mothers, but to look and think about how you can help them!  When they are struggling with a stroller and a toddler how about asking them what they need!  Could you help by taking that toddlers hand, or by pushing the stroller?   I can guarantee they will not turn down a helping hand!

I think as my children grow and become more self sufficient I am more aware of what is going on around me.  Maybe that is why I am feeling so strongly about this topic lately, and instead of looking at the mom struggling in the store or parking lot with pity, I am giving them a smile instead.

Today I am encouraging you to find another mom who may be struggling with a infant or trying to wrangle a group into the car after church or Vacation Bible School and give them a hand!  A hug!  An encouraging smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment