Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tot School

My tot will be 2 when we start our school year in a few weeks.  I am not going to be using a formal curriculum for our little tot, but we will be doing daily learning time.

I love the idea of Tot Trays, but I just can't figure out how I will make them work.  Right now with our Expedit shelving unit, we have about six spots that are dedicated just for Zach.  I think if I just place activities into those spots and teach him that those are his activities, he will enjoy that.



My little Zach working his shape sorter.  He's actually pretty good!

I am also hoping to incorporate some Tot Books as well.  So far I have printed off a Cars and a Thomas the Train one, and he really enjoys those.  I think he is still a bit young for them but he likes them none the less.

Some of our tot toys that we will be using this year are:

Chunky Peg Puzzles: Like this one and this one
Melissa and Doug Shape Sequence Sorting
Wedgits
Melissa and Doug Stack and Sort Board
Geometric Sorting Board
Lauri Number Puzzle
Melissa and Doug Geometric Stacker
Lauri Toddler Tote
Lauri Puzzles like this one
Shape Sorter similar to this one
Wooden Building Blocks
Busy Bags- which I am always expanding on

Geometric Sorting Board

Melissa and Doug Shape Sequence Sorting


Good Old Wooden Building Blocks

Lauri Toddler Tote

Lauri Puzzles

We will also use dry erase boards and markers, chalkboards and chalk, markers, crayons, play dough, and things like that.

I am not quite sure how much I will be able to include Zach in the other boys school work, but I plan to try and include him as much as I can.

If you look at our schedule you will see that I have some time set aside twice in the morning to spend just with him.   I have it so that I can spend 15 minutes doing some learning activities with him first thing in the morning and then another 15 minutes of reading time with him before he takes his nap in the afternoon.

My inspiration for Tot School comes from 1+1+1=1 she has some great ideas on how to get started and what to do once you start.  She also has some great printable packs for the little tots, that is where I got the Tot Books from.

What do you do to keep those little tots busy while you school older children?  I would love some more tips and advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment