Monday, October 7, 2013

MFW Kindergarten

With Noah we have been going through My Fathers World Kindergarten curriculum.  Its a 6 day program, but I have actually condensed it down to 4.  I know that might not sit well with some, but its what I needed to do.  For one thing, Noah struggles with wanting to do his school work, so 4 days is about his maximum.  I also have a problem carrying over the topic from one week into the next, for some reason I just don't like that concept.  Its hard for my Type A brain to grasp.  So right now we are doing 4 days a week with him.

Over the past few weeks we have covered S-Sun, M-Moon, L-Leaf, A-Apple and N-Nest.  These have all been super fun units, with lots of activities built in.

Beginning with the L-Leaf unit, that was one that I really enjoyed.  Noah got to do lots of hands on learning with it.  We went and collected leaves outside and then examined them, and did leaf rubbings with them.   I have found that he loves doing the salt tray for writing his letters, and that he hates to actually write them on paper!  So there has been lots of salt tray writing going on.



The following unit was the A-Apple unit.  Another one filled with awesome fun!  A few weeks prior we had gone to an apple orchard for a field trip.  In college I was a Early Childhood Education major, so for my final project I had to do a theme unit, which just happens to have been Apples.  So I dug out all of my stuff from that, and the kids had so much fun!  We also made yummy mini apple pies!



Finally last week we were on the N-Nest unit.  I think his favorite part this week was making a bird sequencing book.  He put the pictures in the order they happened and then we put them in a book and wrote a short story to go along with it.  He has also really enjoyed the books that go along with this unit, one of them being The Best Nest by P.D. Eastman.  Sorry no pictures from this week, like I have said before I really need to work on my picture taking skills!

If you are wondering what our homeschooling day looks like, you can check that out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment